Here is my guest post from earlier this week over at Sarahndipities. Hope you enjoy!
Last Christmas, when I began to run low on ribbon, I came up with a fun way to top packages that also uses up some of my yarn stash: pom-poms!
A big pom-pom on top of a gift is fun and a bit unexpected. It adds height and a big shot of color.
There are many, many different ways to add pom-poms to your packages, but here are a few of my ideas. When attaching one or more pom-poms to a wrapped package, you can simply wrap the yarn around the gift a few times and tie the pom-pom on. Another option is to use a crochet hook to chain a "ribbon" for your gift. (Sarah from Sarahndipities has some good info on how to make a crochet chain here.)
There are so many great ways to use pom-poms. Don't limit yourself to boxes!
I don't know about you, but I usually keep gift bags I have received and I have TONS stored up. To make a gift bag more unique, you can pull out the original handles and tie it closed with a big pom-pom.
You can also add pom-poms to the end of crochet chain, so the tails of your bow will have little pom-pom punctuation marks.
To add pom-poms to the end of a crochet chain, thread one of the ends of the tails used to tie the pom-pom into a yarn needle. Use the needle to pull the tail through the end of the chain, and then tie the pom-pom to the chain using a double knot.
So. Now you want to make some pom-poms, right? Well, you could buy a pom-pom maker. Or, you could use this technique that only requires yarn, scissors, and your fingers.
- Wrap the yarn around four fingers. I find that it helps to start with your fingers a bit spread apart.
- Keep wrapping the yarn. The more you wrap the fuller and bigger your pom-pom will be.
- Take a piece of yarn about 10-12 inches long. Push one end of the yarn through your middle and ring finger and wrap around the loops of yarn.
- Tie a double knot as tight as you can.
- Cut through the loops. Do not cut the longer strings used to tie the pom-pom in step 3. These strings will be used to attach your pom-pom to whatever project you are working on.
- Your pom-pom will probably be a bit wild and uneven at this point.
- Give your buddy a little trim. The more you trim off, the tighter your pom-pom will be.
- Admire your work!
So, how will you use your pom-poms?